Publications of Diane Cowan
- Atema, J. and D.F. Cowan (1986) Sex-identifying urine and molt signals in lobsters, Homarus americanus. Journal of Chemical Ecology 12(11): 2065-2080.
- Cowan, D.F. (1990) Serial monogamy in Homarus americanus. The Lobster Newsletter 3(2): 1-3.
- Cowan, D.F. (Winter 1989/90) Review of The Complete Lobster and Crab Book by Christopher Reaske. Oceanus 32(4): 98-102.
- Cowan, D.F. and J. Atema (1990) Moult staggering and serial monogamy in American lobsters, Homarus americanus. Animal Behaviour 39: 1199-1206.
- Cowan, D.F., J. Atema, and A.R. Solow (1991) Moult staggering in the American lobster: a statisical analysis. Animal Behaviour 42: 863-864.
- Cowan, D.F. (1991) The role of olfaction in courtship behavior of the American lobster, Homarus americanus. Biological Bulletin 181: 402-407.
- Cowan, D.F. (1992) Pheromones, molting, and courtship behavior in the American lobster Homarus americanus. Ph.D Dissertation, Boston University, Boston, MA. Pp. i-xv; 1-200.
- Cowan, D.F. (1992) Scientific activities undertaken aboard SSV Westward. Miami - Lee Stocking Island - Bermuda - Shelburne - Woods Hole. Cruise Report, OES/OMS, Department of State, Washington, DC.
- Cowan, D.F. (1993) Book review of Crustacean Sexual Biology. Bauer & Martin, eds. American Scientist 81: 290.
- Cowan, D.F. (in press) Unsettling ideas on settling: juvenile lobsters in the intertidal zone. In: Proceedings of the International Lobster Workshop, Galway, Ireland.
- Lavalli, K.L. and D.F. Cowan. (1998) Is there reasonable evidence to suggest that the new Massachusetts Water Resources Authority sewage outfall may have a negative impact on lobsters? Technical Report for the Outfall Monitoring Task Force, New England Aquarium/MWRA, Boston, MA, 20 pps.
- Cowan, D.F. (1999) Method for assessing relative abundance, size distribution, and growth of recently settled and early juvenile lobster (Homarus americanus) in the lower intertidal zone. Journal of Crustacean Biology
- Solow, A.R., A. Beet, and D.F. Cowan. (2000) Optimal seasonal sampling for estimating an interannual trend. Israeli Journal of Zoology, Submitted
- Cowan, D.F., A.R. Solow, and A. Beet. 2000. Population abundance and individual behavior of free-ranging first-year American lobster, Homarus americanus. Marine and Freshwater Research, 51:000-000.
- Ellis, S.L. and D.F. Cowan. 2000. Volunteer-based monitoring of intertidal nursery grounds of American lobster, Homarus americanus. Marine and Freshwater Research, 51:000-000.
- Cowan, D.F. 2002. Unsettling ideas on settling: juvenile lobsters in the
intertidal zone. In: Proceedings of the International Lobster Workshop,
- Cowan, D.F., S.L. Ellis, and J. Roundy. 2003. Field Handbook: Juvenile
Lobster Monitoring Program. The Lobster Conservancy. 51 pp.
- Cowan, D.F. 2003. Mapping the movements of egg-bearing female lobsters
and bottom temperatures. In: Prototype Biophysical Maps of the Gulf of Maine.
E. Richert and Lewis Incze eds., Island Institute pp. 26-28.
- Cowan, D.F., W.H. Watson, A.R. Solow, A. Mountcastle and L. Archambault.
2005. Lobster movements and vulnerability to environmental stressors. In:
Tlusty et al, eds. State of Lobster Science: Lobster shell disease workshop.
Univ. of Mass., Boston.
- Cowan, D.F., W.H. Watson, A.R. Solow, and A. Mountcastle. 2006. Thermal
histories of brooding lobsters, Homarus americanus, in the Gulf of Maine.
- Hodgins-Davis, A., S. Roberts, D.F. Cowan, J. Atema, C. Avolio, J. Defaveri,
and G. Gerlach. Submitted. Characterization of SSRs from the American lobster,
Homarus americanus. Molecular Ecology Notes.
- Cowan, D. and J. Atema (1984) Sex discrimination in lobsters: urine cues. Biological Bulletin 167: 525. (abstract)
- Cowan, D. and J. Atema (1985) Serial polygamy, mate choice, and pre- and post-copulatory guarding in lobsters, Homarus americanus. Biological Bulletin 169(2): 550. (abstract)
- Cowan, D.F. (1988) Lobster mating behavior: effects of varying sex ratios on intrasexual competition. American Zoologist 28(4): 110A. (abstract)
- Cowan, D.F. and J. Atema (1989) Pheromonal regulation of molting in lobsters. Chemical Senses 14(5): 692. (abstract)
- Cowan, D.F. (1990) Male sex pheromones in the American lobster. American Zoologist 30: 10A. (abstract)
Selected Invited Lectures
"Mapping the movements of egg-bearing female lobsters and bottom temperature"
presented by Diane Cowan and Tim Thompson F/V Haley & Amy
9, 2003 Northeast Consortium Annual Meeting, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
with the Lobstering Community
- Jan 5, 2005, Penobscot East Resource Center,
- Sep 13, 2004, Maine Maritime Academy, Castine, Maine
- Nov 1, 2004, University
of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Nov 11, 2004, University of New Hampshire,
- Jun 3, 2003, Isle of Shoals Marine Lab, Appledore Island
- Jul 11, 2003, Maine
Maritime Academy, Castine, Maine
- Oct 18, 2003, Cundy’s Harbor Community Center,
- Oct 19, 2003, Grange, West Harpswell, Maine
- Oct 30, 2003, Cliff Island Community
Center, Cliff Island, Maine
- Oct 22, 2003, Friends of Casco Bay Annual
Meeting, South Portland,
"Breaking Down the Barriers: Fishermen, Scientists and the Media"
- Mar 6, 2004, Maine Fishermen’s Forum, Rockport, Maine
"Lobster Literacy Project"
- May 11, 2004, Midcoast Stewards, Damariscotta, Maine
- Apr 10, 2003, Penobscot Bay Stewards, Searsport Museum, Maine
"Lobsters: From Egg to Plate"
- Jan 21, 2003, Kennebec Naturalist Society, Augusta, Maine
- May 19, 2001, Cornell Outdoor Education, Friendship, Maine
- Feb 16, 2001, University of North Carolina, Wilmington
- Pye Henninger, Heidi. 2004. Production and detection of sound by the
American lobster, Homarus americanus. Master of Science, University of
Susan A. 2003. Comparison of size frequency distributions and female
sizes at maturity of American lobsters, Homarus americanus, captured
offshore fishery. Master of Science, University of New Hampshire.
W.J. 2003. Small-scale movements and interactions of the lobster
with traps. Master of Science, University of New Hampshire.
Susan. 1998. Citizen's Guide to Evaluating, Restoring, and Managing
Coastal Lobster Flats. Master's Thesis, Norwich University, Montpelier,
- Kirby, Sara
S. 1994. The Distribution and Site Fidelity of Juvenile Lobsters,
Homarus americanus, in the Intertidal Zone, Honors Thesis,
Bates College, Lewiston,
- Giles, Suzanne L. 1993. Winter Ecology of the marine snail
Littorina littorea. Biology Department, Bates College, Lewiston,
Elizabeth A. 1993. 5-alpha reduced progesterone metabolites
may facilitate sexual receptivity
via a non-genomic GABAA mechanism. Biology Department,
Lewiston, ME. (Committee Chair; Advisor: Cheryl Frye
Kevin D. 1993. Health effects of U.S. policy in Nicaragua. Biology
Department, Bates College, Lewiston, ME. (Committee Chair;
Advisor: Pamela Baker in Biology
and Avi Chomsky in History)